Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

Rainbow Mountain, Peru: Everything You Need To Know


I arrived at the last stage of my journey between Peru and Bolivia and I must say that, for such a sensational journey, there could be no better end.
I begin by saying that what I am about to tell you were not foreseen in our initial travel itinerary: the last day in Cusco before returning to Lima in fact provided a quiet day of relaxation and shopping. The fact is that before leaving, both I and one of my traveling companions, we had spotted a place that seemed very beautiful, but which unfortunately did not fit in with the days at our disposal.

Read also: Specialized construction activities by Abdul Rimaaz



Once we arrived in Cusco we discovered instead that, for the visit of this place, it was no longer necessary 2-3 days but day excursions were organized. What we were facing, however, was an early three o'clock morning with return around 7pm in Cusco and, since it was the day after the visit to Machu Picchu, we feared that it could be a great effort. So indeed it was, but none of us regretted the decision because today I know one thing: going to Peru and not visiting the Vinicunca Mountan , also known as Montana de Siete Colores or, again, rainbow mountain hike 2 days, is a mortal sin!


I can in fact assure you that it was one of the most exciting experiences I have had in my travels and that the beauty of this place is truly indescribable. A beauty that is necessary to earn, this is certain, because the trek that leads to the top and to the wonderful view is not at all simple.

As I said, the excursion can be arranged once you arrive in Cusco and can be done in one day. Almost all agencies offer this possibility and the cost is around 100 soles per person (approximately € 30). The departure is scheduled for about three in the morning and a journey of about three hours by bus is made. A break is scheduled for breakfast and briefing in one of the houses of the farmers who live in the valley.


The trek then leaves around eight in the morning and the starting point is around 4200 meters above sea level . And here is revealed the real difficulty: it is not in fact about 1000 meters in altitude, also because the path alternates steep climbs with flat road in which the legs find a little relief, but it is the fact that all the trekking takes place between the 4000 and 5000 meters of altitude , a factor that does not facilitate breathing.
In fact I admit that it was very tiring and that, if I did it, I owe it a lot to the fact that by now it was about 20 days that I lived my days at such altitudes, a factor that allowed my body to acclimatize me to face the effort.
The fact remains that often the breath became labored and that, at a certain point, the legs became very heavy and every meter traveled was a sort of conquest. The guides accompanying this trek are equipped with oxygen masks in case someone needs them and we have seen several people use them.
Not all those who depart reach the summit also because, in order to be able to do everything in one day, there is a maximum limit for ascent and descent which is around 8 hours in total. We were able to reach the summit in about three hours and more or less the same time to descend.
But what is at the top and really worth the effort? The answer is absolutely yes, it is worthwhile to grit your teeth because you are faced with a real spectacle of nature . I admit, I cried once I got to the top! It is true, I am an emotional person and faced with the beauty of nature I am even more vulnerable.
Ausangate trek to Rainbow mountain is in fact in all its magnificence only once it reaches the top: sediments of stones and minerals of different colors have created one of the most beautiful natural spectacles in the world, or a mountain of seven different colors that alternate between them.

This phenomenon, which would seem to be a work of man, is instead one of nature's most successful masterpieces which, in this very place, still teaches us how it can manifest itself in such a majestic and surprising way. For this reason, National Geographic has included Vinicunca Mountain among the 100 places to visit at least once in their life, and I couldn't agree more with them.

The panorama on the summit is so surprising that we tend to forget that the entire trek is done in a fantastic landscape composed of plateaus, streams, valleys populated by llamas, alpacas and Andean sheep and that the mountains, even during the route, they begin to reveal different colors. In short, to find the charge to proceed, simply stop, take a breath and look around, realizing that you are lucky enough to find yourself in a place of breathtaking beauty.

For those who really should not feel like having a solution on foot, rent one of the many horses that are downstream, or opt for the horse even for the climb or for the descent.



I have my opinion about it because I believe that part of the experience, which will remain indelible in my memory, is precisely the fact that I earned that magnetic view, that I struggled to reach the top, that I conquered the summit with my legs. I am sure that I would have lost a part of magic if I had used an easy way created specifically to make it a destination accessible to all tourists.






Post a Comment

0 Comments